Dioscorea Mexicana (Mexican Yam)
$91.59 incl. GST
Earliest Delivery in 2 days
- Overall Height APPROXIMATELY 55cm
- The actual plant may differ as each pot has its own unique natural look and though look identical but never 100% similar to the image pictured here.
- Flowers/Fruits are seasonal and plants may not be with flowers/fruits at the time of order/delivery.
- Dioscorea mexicana, Mexican yam or cabeza de negro is a species of yam in the genus Dioscorea.
- Dioscorea mexicana is a caudiciform Dioscorea having either a partly to completely above-ground dome-shaped caudex with a thick, woody outer layer up to 3 feet in diameter and 8–10 inches in height.
- The plant exterior resembles an elephant foot due to the become more pronounced with age.
- In containers, they will grow with a diameter of 3 feet and a height of 10..12 inches.
- Your soil mix should be a minimum of 50% inorganic pumice/lava rocks, and 50% organics.
- Preferring a well-drained soil.
- Fertilize once a month and add time released 7-7-7 during the rainy growing season once even 3 months.
- It requires shade/partial sun.
- The vine that grows out of the plant bulb prefers full sun.
- New roots grow from the outer edge of the caudex, so they are best protected with a well-drained layer of gravel.
- Roots will grow from above the soil into the soil.
- During the dormant period greatly reduce the amount of water given to the plant; a light monthly watering is needed at most.