Rainbow Hedgehog Cactus (Echinopsis Rigidissimus)
$25.00 incl. GST
Earliest Delivery Within 2 days
Overall Height APPROXIMATELY 16cm.
- Echinocereus Rigidissimus, commonly known as the Arizona Rainbow Cactus or Rainbow Hedgehog Cactus is a solitary, growing cactus, that rarely branches or offsets with age.
- Echinocereus Rigidissimus grows to a height of up to 30 cm, and a width of 11 cm when mature, with pectinate radial spines curved slightly towards the stem, the new spines are initially reddish to magenta and fades to a yellow or light pink colour when they mature.
- Echinocereus Rigidissimus, flowers in flushes throughout the spring season, with multiple buds borne atop the plant from younger areoles, the flowers are bright pink in colour with a white coloured throat.
- If pollination is successful, Echinocereus Rigidissimus forms circular shaped, greenish to dark purplish fruit, with white flesh and dark brown to black seeds approximately 3 months after flowering.
- Since it rarely offsets, Echinocereus Rigidissimus is propagated by seed.
- Its common names are Arizona Rainbow Hedgehog Cactus, Sonorian Rainbow Cactus, Arizona Rainbow Cactus, Rainbow Hedgehog Cactus.
- Sandy Soil, Low Fertility Soil.
- Give the plant regular feedings of diluted cactus fertilizer during the summer and supplement with sequestrated iron as needed.
- Full Sun.
- It’s easy to overwater this cactus, so having a well-drained soil is an absolute must.
- Water once every two weeks during summer months, making sure the soil has dried out.
- Do not water if the soil is still moist.
- For winter, water only once a month, and avoid any watering at all when it’s humid.
- As with many plants, it’s possible for echinocactus pectiniferus to become iron deficient.