Alocasia 'Melo Dark'
$44.86 incl. GST
- Overall Height APPROXIMATELY 18cm
- The actual plant may differ as each pot has its own unique natural look and though look identical but never 100% similar to the image pictured here.
- Flowers/Fruits are seasonal and plants may not be with flowers/fruits at the time of order/delivery.
- Alocasia Melo is an exotic plant native to the Southeast Asian forests, specifically Indonesia, which tends to grow in rocky terrain, unlike other alocasias.
- This alocasia is considered a small plant because although in nature it can grow up to 23 inches in height, as a houseplant it is not usual, and does not exceed 15 inches approximately.
- Alocasia Melo is commonly known as Alocasia Rugosa for its unique foliage.
- Its leaves are green, large, and thick with a rough texture that makes it look like an artificial plant. Alocasias grow in tropical forests in the shade of higher vegetation, which is why they should not be given direct sunlight.
- It thrives in loose, porous, well-drained soils.
- One part coarse potting sand or perlite, one part peat, and part soil are used to make the potting soil.
- When the plant's actively growing, boost the soil's fertility by adding some compost, scratching it carefully into the top inch or two of soil without disturbing the plant's roots.
- Feed the plant every two or three weeks with a balanced, water-soluble fertilizer such as a 10-10-10 formula, diluted at a rate of 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water.
- Protect it from too much sun (which could scorch its leaves) on hot summer days and, by moving the container into a partially shaded area, such as under tall trees.
- Keep an indoor-grown plant in a spot that gets filtered light, such as near a lightly curtained south- or west-facing window.
- Water the soil well.
- Give the plant extra water during the dry season, aiming for at least 1 inch per week, including rain.