Ceiba Speciosa (Japan)
$30.00 incl. GST
Ship in 2 days
- The actual plant may differ as each pot has its own unique natural look and although look identical but never 100% similar to the image pictured here.
- Flowers/Fruits are seasonal and plants may not be with flowers/fruits at the time of order/delivery.
- Overall Height is measured from the bottom of the pot to the tallest point of the plant vertically.
- Plant Overall Height APPROXIMATELY:-
- 15cm for POT SIZE 8cm(Ø)
- Ceiba speciosa, also known as the Silk Floss Tree or Kapok Tree, is a large deciduous tree with a majestic presence.
- It belongs to the Malvaceae family and is native to South America, including regions of Brazil, Argentina, and Paraguay.
- The tree is renowned for its dramatic display of large, showy flowers that can be pink, white, or shades of red.
- Ceiba speciosa produces these striking flowers during the warmer months, often attracting various pollinators like bees and butterflies.
- The trunk of the Silk Floss Tree is thick and spiny, creating a unique and captivating visual texture.
- During the dry season, the tree loses its leaves, and its canopy is covered with clusters of fluffy seed pods filled with silky fibers.
- These fibers, often referred to as kapok, were traditionally used to fill pillows and mattresses due to their soft and buoyant nature.
- Ceiba speciosa prefers full sun exposure and well-draining soil, making it suitable for gardens and parks in warm climates.
- The tree is drought-tolerant once established and can withstand periods of low water availability.
- It can grow to impressive heights of 30 to 50 feet (9 to 15 meters) or even taller under favorable conditions.
- The Silk Floss Tree is a beautiful addition to landscapes, offering shade, ornamental flowers, and unique visual interest.
- Ceiba speciosa prefers well-draining soil.
- Use a loamy or sandy soil mix with good drainage.
- The soil should be slightly acidic to neutral, with a pH of 6.0 to 7.5.
- Adding organic matter, such as compost, can improve soil fertility.
- Ceiba speciosa benefits from light fertilization during the growing season.
- Use a balanced, slow-release fertilizer.
- Apply the fertilizer according to the package instructions, typically in spring and summer.
- Avoid overfertilization, as excessive nutrients can be harmful to the plant.
- Ceiba speciosa thrives in full sun.
- It requires at least 6 hours of direct sunlight per day.
- Place the plant in a sunny location with ample sunlight exposure.
- Ceiba speciosa has moderate water requirements.
- Keep the soil evenly moist, especially during the growing season.
- Water the plant when the top inch of soil feels slightly dry.
- Reduce watering during the dormant winter months.