Sorrel 'Red Veined' (Rumex Acetosa)
$9.35 incl. GST
Earliest Delivery in 2 days
- The actual plant may differ as each pot has its own unique natural look and though look identical but never 100% similar to the image pictured here.
- Flowers/Fruits are seasonal and plants may not be with Flowers/Fruits at the time of order/delivery.
- Overall Height APPROXIMATELY 25-30cm
- Sorrel Red-Veined is a hardy perennial in zones 5 and up forming medium-sized clumps of gorgeous green and red leaves.
- It is also called bloody dock or bloody sorrel, is a member of the buckwheat family and grown for its edible leaves.
- You can grow it as a fast-growing annual in a salad garden or containers.
- The plants grow in tidy clumps that when mature are around twelve inches tall and eighteen inches wide.
- It may be edible, but you don’t need to plant sorrel in a food garden.
- It makes a beautiful low border along the front of a perennial garden or mixes it with other foliage or flowering plants in garden beds.
- Or, plant it in a perennial herb garden.
- Sorrel is generally added to mixed green salads and enjoyed in moderation.
- Cooking breaks down some of the oxalic acids.
- Sorrel likes a slightly acidic soil pH; somewhere in the range of 5.5 to 6.8.
- Since sorrel is grown for its leaves, soil rich in organic matter will give you lots of leafy, green growth.
- Keep the plant in top form by feeding the plants with a dilute solution of liquid fertilizer.
- Direct morning sunlight or bright shade, these plants dislike extreme heat so please avoid the hot afternoon sun.
- Water when the top 1 inch of soil feels dry, make sure to deeply water each time but remove excess water so as to not drown the roots.