Okra - Ladies Fingers (Abelmoschus Esculentus)
$7.48 incl. GST
Earliest Delivery in 2 days
- The actual plant may differ as each pot has its own unique natural look and though look identical but never 100% similar to the image pictured here.
- Flowers/Fruits are seasonal and plants may not be with Flowers/Fruits at the time of order/delivery.
- Overall Height APPROXIMATELY 30cm
- Okra (Abelmoschus Esculentus), known in many English-speaking countries as ladies' fingers or ochro, is a flowering plant in the mallow family.
- It is native to Africa and related to hibiscus, arrived in North America in the 1600s.
- These edible green seed pods quickly became popular in the Deep South as both a side dish and a thickening for gumbo and stews.
- As more gardeners discover that they really like okra, the range of this warm-natured hibiscus cousin is steadily edging northward.
- Okra is tolerant of a wide range of soil pH, but prefers soil with a pH between 6.0 and 6.8.
- If the soil pH is below 5.8, it should be limed to increase the pH to 6.0 or more.
- Soils at or below 5.8 can result in okra with poorly developed pods.
- Use fertilizer with NPK such as 10-10-10 or 15-5-10.
- Okra needs full sun.
- Keep the plants well-watered throughout the hot weather
- 1 inch of water per week is ideal, but use more if you are in a hot, arid region.