Cherry Tomato Plant (Solanum lycopersicum)
$16.82 incl. GST
Overall Height APPROXIMATELY 35cm
- The tomato is the edible, often red berry of the plant Solanum Lycopersicum, commonly known as a tomato plant.
- The species originated in western South America and Central America.
- The Nahuatl word tomatl gave rise to the Spanish word tomate, from which the English word tomato derived.
- Tomatoes are not super fussy about what type of soil they are grown in.
- As with most garden vegetables, they do well in well-drained, fertile loam with a pH of 5.8 to 7.0.
- Mix several inches of organic compost or aged animal manure into the upper 4-8 inches of soil before planting.
- Choose a fertilizer that has a balanced ratio of the three major elements, such as 10-10-10, or where the middle number (phosphorus) is larger than the first number (nitrogen), such as 2-3-1.
- Tomatoes are heavy feeders and usually do need fertilizer unless your soil is very rich.
- 6-8 hours of sun is all a tomato plant's needs.
- Tomatoes thrive in full sun.
- As temperatures increase, you might need to water tomato plants twice a day.
- Garden tomatoes typically require 1-2 inches of water a week.
- Water in the morning and check the soil moisture levels again in the afternoon.
- If the soil feels dry about 1 inch below the surface, it's time to water again.