Vanilla Plant (planifolia)
$14.02 incl. GST
Earliest Delivery in 2 days
Overall Height APPROXIMATELY 45cm
- Vanilla planifolia is a species of the vanilla orchid.
- It is native to Mexico and Central America, and is one of the primary sources for vanilla flavoring, due to its high vanillin content.
- Common names are flat-leaved vanilla, and West Indian vanilla (also used for the Pompona vanilla, V. pompona). Often, it is simply referred to as "the vanilla".
- It was first scientifically named in 1808.
- Vanilla requires a soil rich in calcium and potassium and will grow best in a soil that is light and well-draining, with a pH between 6.0 and 7.0.
- Fertilize the orchid every two weeks with diluted orchid fertilizer.
- Vanilla plants prefer good bright light but not hot, noonday sun.
- However, they won't grow well or flower in deep shade so partial sun is what they need.
- Water the plant consistently to keep it evenly moist but allow the top two to three inches to dry out between watering.
- Vanilla orchid care does require vigilance for spider mites and mealybugs.