Adenium Obesum 富贵花 (Desert Rose)
$28.00 incl. GST
- Overall Height APPROXIMATELY:
- 32cm for Pot Size 16cm(Ø)
- The actual plant may differ as each pot has its own unique natural look and although look identical but never 100% similar to the image pictured here.
- Flowers/Fruits are seasonal and plants may not be with flowers/fruits at the time of order/delivery.
- Overall Height is measured from the bottom of the pot to the tallest point of the plant vertically.
- Known as Fu Gui Hua 富贵花 (wealth plant) in Mandarin, it is a popular pick during the festive period because its swollen basal stem represents wealth and fortune.
- It is believed that the bigger the basal stem is, the more prosperity will be ushered in.
- Perfect for this festive season!
- The Desert Rose is a favorite among botanists but in bonsai form, it is an uncommon delight.
- Adenium is actually fast-growing and easy to grow when given the right conditions and proper care.
- Native to East Africa and relative of the Plumeria, the Desert Rose is a small succulent tree that grows only about 8 inches tall in the wild, has fleshy leaves and forms a very bulbous base.
- It produces exotic 2" pink and white, open-trumpet shaped flowers throughout the year in full sun.
- Desert Roses readily adapt to container culture, making them well suited for interesting and untraditional bonsai specimens.
- Use a potting mix formulated for cacti or succulents or use regular potting soil mixed with equal parts perlite or sand to ensure the soil is well-draining.
- When repotting desert rose plants, make sure the soil is dry before gently removing the desert rose from its pot.
- Fertilizing is also necessary if your bonsai is to remain healthy and beautiful.
- Since your bonsai is growing in such a small amount of soil it is necessary to replenish the soil's supply of nutrients periodically.
- Any general-purpose liquid fertilizer will do fine and is available at most garden centers.
- We suggest that fertilizers be used at half their recommended strength.
- Fertilizer should be applied at least once a month except during winter.
- Your bonsai will also respond well to foliar feeding, with a water-soluble fertilizer applied every other month as a spray.
- Desert rose like bright light, so a southern window exposure provides enough sun for the plants to flourish and bloom.
- In the garden, choose a sunny location that has some protection from the noonday sun, as this can scorch the foliage
- The watering of your bonsai must never be neglected.
- Unlike other bonsai trees, The Desert Rose should be watered every 7 to 10 days.