Colocasia Esculenta 'illustris' (Elephant Ear)
$28.00 incl. GST
Earliest Delivery in 2 days
Overall Height APPROXIMATELY 45cm
- Primarily grown for its spectacular foliage, Colocasia esculenta 'Illustris' (Taro) is a tuberous, frost-tender perennial with huge, long-stalked, heart-shaped, blackish-purple leaves adorned with dramatic bright green veins.
- This fabulous tropical beauty is a high impact plant with magnificent huge leaves.
- It makes an “imperial” specimen in large containers and water gardens.
- In more sun, the purple color is dominant but not quite as dark.
- Though fragrant, pale yellow flowers are occasionally produced in summer, this plant is really grown more for its outstanding foliage.
- It will grow taller in richer soil with a constant supply of moisture.
- A mixture of Clay, Loam, Sand is suitable.
- Moist but Well-Drained soil.
- pH: Acid, Neutral.
- Being a fast grower, elephant ear plants are also heavy feeders.
- They can be feed at every watering and responds well to foliar fertilizers and slow-release fertilizers but they need to be high in nitrogen.
- It can handle full sun when grown outdoors.
- Leaves may burn at first but once acclimated to the sunlight will do fine.
- They require regular watering, particularly during dry summer periods.